Wednesday, May 14, 2008



there are many ways to respond to a work of art. but what interests me the most about this particular piece, is its tangible quality.
I have viewed more bullshit art from high school than I am comfortable elaborating. This is different. I have viewed thousands of paintings on cardboard, but this is different. There is a tangible permanence draws me to it. I do not know the artist name, or what he or she looks like, but I have found meaning in my ignorance.
It is very common for a work of art to be critiqued out of the original context and without the presence of the artist or an artist statement. Personally, I enjoy the freedom that is granted to the viewer in such a situation. I say this because I feel that sometimes, it can be possible for a viewer to experience a more personal dialogue with the work of art. It was something special about this painting. Or rather, I projected something special on to the painting that made it have more relevance to my state of mind.
When I looked at this painting I felt like the artist and I shared the same…something. It was a mysterious painting. A young man is listening to music underneath a sky of text. He is wearing a sweater.
The sweater lead me to believe that the piece was about warmth and meditation.
The words, for me, represent his conscious and unconscious self.
Posted by MammothTuna at 12:52 PM

No comments: